1.1 Sounds painful, but it’s not…(promise!) Here’s a head’s up, you’re bound by these Terms and Conditions when you enter any competitions operated by Ben & Jerry’s.
1.2 Although Ben & Jerry’s may amend these from time to time, there are always these little ‘General Contest Rules’ looming in the background. Just so you know, they apply to all Ben & Jerry’s contestants…(bet that makes you feel all special!)
1.3 Money isn’t everything…which is why no purchase or payment is necessary to enter this lovely little Ben & Jerry’s competition.
1.4 It’s not as ‘heavy’ as it sounds, but, you entering and participating in any competition means you unconditionally accept these Terms. All entry instructions and any other specific details relating to the competition (or the goodies, aka prizes!) form part of these Terms too.
1.5 So, if you enter the competition, it’s the thumbs up to us that you’ve read, understood, and are bound by these rules! (Hurrah!)
1.6 The final decision is down to Ben & Jerry’s…(no pressure!)
1. 7 Ben & Jerry’s will accept online competition submissions until Oct 15, 2014 at 17:00 GMT. Entries need to be received online, through joinourcore.com, and they’ve got to be in English and Japanese (for Japanese residents only), or they won’t be accepted (sorry!)
1.8 This competition shall be governed by English law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
2.1 Country of residence: The competition is open to people ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Singapore and Japan only. Entries from people outside of these countries will not be accepted (sorry!) Although entrants must live in one of these 11 countries, the business itself can run or do its thing in ANY country in the world…(yep, anywhere!)
2.2 Age requirement: The competition is open to those aged between 18 and 34 when submitting their entry (so that’s between 1st September 2014 and 15th October 2014. Oh and, just a head’s up, we might need some proof of age from you – we won’t laugh at your passport or driving licence photo though, promise!) Entry from people outside this age range won’t be accepted, we’re looking for the next generation of social entrepreneurs out there. Do check out our Partners Ashoka’s other competitions on http://www.changemakers.com/opportunities for other opportunities.
2.3 Personal details: We’d like to get to know you a little better, so Ben & Jerry’s ask that you give us some personal details, but these will be treated confidentially.
2.4 All decisions will be final and binding, and made by the lovely Ben & Jerry’s.
2.5 Everything must reach Ben & Jerry’s by the closing date, or on the closing date, as specified in the competition. Alas, Ben & Jerry’s won’t take responsibility for any answers that are illegible, misdirected, lost for technical (or other) reasons, or received after the closing date.
2.6 You’re going to have to select your best business because you can’t enter the competition more than once.
2.7 2012 and 2013 entrants: Only winners from the 2012 and 2013 Join Our Core competition are excluded from entering the 2014 Join Our Core competition.
2.8 We’re not a fan of nasties, so Ben & Jerry’s reserve the right to withdraw any competition application that uses inappropriate or abusive language or someone who shows that they cannot work in a team or are not sensitive to the needs of others.
3. Competition Procedure
3.1 Ben & Jerry’s will accept online competition submissions until 15th October 2014, at 17:00 GMT. Entries need to be received online, through joinourcore.com, and they’ve got to be in English and Japanese (for Japanese residents only), or they won’t be accepted (sorry!)
3.2 Stages of the competition:
Any updates or announcements will be posted on www.joinourcore.com – worth bookmarking it so you don’t miss out!
Stage 1: Entries
- Entries for the competition open 1st September 2014 at 00.01 GMT
- Application for entry can be found at joinourcore.com.
- We ask from you 2 referees, with whom you give us the consent to contact before the shortlisting.
- The early bird deadline for the first 100 applicants is 19th September 2014 at 17.00 GMT
- The final deadline for submitting competition entries is 17:00 GMT on 15th October 2014.
Stage 2: Finalists
- Ben & Jerry’s, Ashoka, and local partners will have a good look at all the entries, and create a shortlist of 18 Finalists in Europe and 5 Finalists in both Singapore and Japan. Those lucky people will be contacted by email or phone.
- The 28 finalists (aka AMAZING people) will be announced online on the 31st October 2014 on joinourcore.com.
- The judge’s panel will then review the 28 finalists in person in London, UK, Singapore and Tokyo, Japan. Flights and accommodation to come to the panel event will be covered in full by Ben & Jerry’s…(how lovely!)
- The final pitch is held separately in different region, with the detail below. Please mark your calendar and keep yourself free so you can attend.
o 18-21st November for European entries. To take place in London, UK.
o 24-25th November for Singapore entries. To take place in Singapore.
o 27-28th November for Japan entries. To take place in Tokyo, Japan.
To give you a sneak peak, The details of the two day events are:
- Day 1: include testing soft skills. We’d like to make sure we find people who work well as a team, are sensitive to the needs of others, committed to learning, flexible and adaptable and have a positive and realistic commitment to the programme.
- Day 2: the final pitch happens in the morning, following the celebratory event in the evening.
- The 11 winners will be announced the day following the final event in each region.
Stage 3: Winners trip to Vermont
- The 11 winners will go to Ben & Jerry’s HQ in Vermont, USA in week commencing 18th May 2015. Again, make a note of these dates…you’d need to be in Vermont for the whole time. Flights and accommodation costs again will be covered by Ben & Jerry’s (hurrah!). Please make sure you set these dates in your diary as your place is non-transferable should you win.
The trip to Vermont is a biggie. In order to travel there, you’re required to
· Obtain, at your own cost, a Visa to travel to the United States.
· Obtain, at your own cost, and show adequate travel insurance to cover the full duration of the trip (travel inter-countries in Europe for the pitch, and potentially the trip to Vermont, USA) covering personal injury, personal belongings, personal money, personal liability, medical assistance, repatriation.
· Return to your home address as soon as the competition finishes and do not embark upon your own independent travel arrangements outside of the competition.
We operate a “no alcohol, no drugs and no weapons policy” on the trip. There might be the option to have a chilled beer (or two) when we are staying in the hotel in Vermont.
4.1 By entering the Ben & Jerry’s competition you’re agreeing to abide by these Terms and Conditions. You confirm and warrant that to the best of your knowledge your general state of health is good and you have no medical condition that could be adversely affected by any of the events or activities planned or reasonably expected to be involved in the competition. So you’re saying that you’re fit as a fiddle!
4.2 You agree to co-operate and comply with all reasonable requests of Ben & Jerry’s and its agents and employees (in particular with respect to health and safety) in connection with the competition and its broadcast.
4.3 It’s super important that you take all reasonable steps to ensure your own health and safety. Any conduct or behaviour, or act or conduct by you that Ben & Jerry’s considers to pose any medical, security or safety risk will lead to your immediate disqualification (including without limitation, any abusive behaviour, physical or verbal).
4.4 All activities are undertaken at your own risk. You hereby confirm that you have taken adequate travel insurance and agree that Ben & Jerry’s have no liability for your safety throughout the trip (travel inter-countries in Europe for the pitch, and potentially the trip to Vermont, USA). You must notify Ben & Jerry’s of any medical or other condition which may mean that you are unfit for travel or participation in the Contest as soon as you become aware of such a condition. Ben & Jerry’s reserves the right to forfeit your place in the Contest or the Prize (without liability or compensation) if you fail to comply with these conditions, or, in its opinion, you may expose yourself or others to risk of illness or injury, or to the cancellation, disruption or curtailment of the contest.
5.1 Early Birds Prize: The first 100 entries to the competition by the 19th September at 17.00 GMT will win a year’s supply of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream…(that’s the equivalent of 12 vouchers!) redeemable at major retailers only for the value of a standard 500ml pint in EU, 473ml pint in Singapore, or 120ml minis in Japan . Vouchers aren’t redeemable in scoop shops. Vouchers are non transferable, must be used on the dates specified, and may not be redeemed for cash. Should vouchers not be available the entrants will receive the equivalent in pints (in Europe and Singapore) or mini cups (in Japan)delivered at once to a local address provided at a minimum of 4 weeks notice to Ben & Jerry’s – an ice cream drop at your home, now that’s cool!
5.2 Winners: The final deadline for submitting competition entries is 17:00 GMT 15th October 2014 (so write that down!) No further entries will be accepted after this, sorry! The 11 overall winners will be chosen by our expert judge’s panel in London, Singapore and Japan following the final events in each region. One winner from each of the 11 countries will receive: an unrestricted cash prize of € 10,000 …(ka-CHING!). Winners will have their business name linked to a Ben & Jerry’s product in 2015 too, which is pretty neat...! Ben & Jerry’s reserves the right to feature the winning business on its products in whatever means it chooses most appropriate. Options may include a tub to be launched in 2015 or a product in one of Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop.
5.3 Runners Up: In Europe one runner up for each country involved will be selected by the judges in each region, and will receive an unrestricted cash prize of €1,000. In each of Singapore and Japan there will be four runners up who will win a prize of Ben & Jerry’s products, at the discretion of the local Ben & Jerry’s team.
6.1 Work on that photo pose, as competition entrants will be required by Ben & Jerry’s to participate in a photo, video and/or film session during all assessment phases including the pitches to the panel. You’ll have to acknowledge that Ben & Jerry’s has the right to use such publicity photos, videos and/or films in any medium, in any country, and in any reasonable manner it sees fit worldwide and in perpetuity. (We won’t make fun of you or anything…we just want you to get the recognition you deserve!)
6.2 A summary of all entries will be available to view publically on the joinourcore.com website, by the way (in all cases you hereby grant Ben & Jerry’s the rights to share any required information to do so)…and they might be promoted on social media and partners’ websites too. Spreading the peace, love & sustainable businesses!
7.1 During the subsistence of the selection process, you may become aware of a number of secret and confidential matters and may come into possession of confidential or commercially sensitive documentation relating to Ben & Jerry’s. You shall preserve the confidentiality of all such matters and/or documentation (“the Confidential Information”) by:
i) refraining from disclosing the Confidential Information or any part thereof to any third party without Ben & Jerry’s prior written consent ;
ii) undertaking not to use the Confidential Information or any part thereof without Ben & Jerry’s prior written consent, except for the strict purposes of the co-operation under this Agreement;
This confidentiality obligation shall not apply to any matter which is already in the public domain before its disclosure or which subsequently comes into the public domain through no fault of or default by us, or you.
7.2 Ben & Jerry’s reserve the right to reject anyone from the competition who, in the opinion of Ben & Jerry’s have not projected a moral and law abiding persona to the public.
7.3 Nothing in these Terms obligates Ben & Jerry’s to use any of the ideas submitted by you.
7.4 Nothing in this Agreement will render you (nor shall you represent yourself to be) an officer, employee, partner or director of Ben & Jerry’s.
8. Intellectual Property
8.1 You agree that your business model will be original and that you are the sole author and the legal and beneficial owner of all rights of copyright and other rights to the business model worldwide.
You agree that your business model will not infringe any copyright, trade mark, right of privacy, right of publicity or personality or any other right whatsoever of any third party.